Thursday, December 6, 2007

From Recoletos, With Love

Yesterday night at the Recoletos RENFE station.
Me (after unsuccessfully trying to exit the station using my ticket): My ticket doesn't work. Can you replace it, please? Him (a RENFE employee, already famous for the following, but I never learn my lesson): (Inserting the ticket in some sophisticated machine and studying something on the computer screen for 2 minutes). You cannot travel on this ticket, you already took the train twice today. Of course, I know that, I was just trying to leave the station, but the gates didn't let me out. (Back to the screen, another 1 minute). The ticket is fine. No, I believe it's not, I tried three exit machines, the ticket didn't work. You cannot travel more than twice a day. I know that. Can you please change my ticket? I will need it tomorrow morning. No, the ticket is fine.
5 MINUTES, 15 nervous people behind me in a queue, me keeping the old ticket that is apparently fine.

Today in morning at the Recoletos RENFE station.
Me (after unsuccessfully trying to enter the station using my old ticket): My ticket doesn't work. Can you replace it, please? Him (another RENFE employee): Of course.
15 SECONDS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It remembers me the french system, if you cannot get what you want from a person, come back later and try with someone else. Exactly like in France !!

Besito my Janinounet

steph said...

the first one was from Belgium no?
besos

Anonymous said...

I don't know if such people get a trhill from doing that or what. I have experienced similar things and the lesson is that it's not something about RENFE's policy or something like that, it's about one employee who may enjoy the "power" of making people waste their time, at their whim

Just like some asshole of a "segurata" gives you a "telling-off" for taking a picture in the madrid metro. I know RENFE forbids people from taking pictures for "image rights" but I have the feeling that in the metro, which is state-run, it's just some bored segurata wanting to feel power