Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Doce Uvas de la Buena Suerte

New Year's Eve! I was invited to spend this precious night with Antonio and José Manuel. It was one of those last minute arrangements, but they are usually the best. I was on the phone with Stephaninounette when A. called me and I had to hurry up, because the subway was supposed to be out of service at 21:30 and I was meeting Rubén and Jesús at the Alonso Martínez Metro station in less than 20 minutes. We had a wonderful dinner and then I experienced that special Spanish tradition of eating 12 grapes, one on each chime of the clock. Cool! Apparently, the "tradition" goes back to 1909 (only), when smart grape growers in Alicante found out what to do with their over-production. Then we watched some TV (I wanted to see Jesús Vázquez, but no luck) and I was getting more and more drunk, but because the wine was really good, I didn't have any headache the day after. On the 1st of January I went to see Quinceañera and I almost cried in the cinema when I saw LA and all the stuff I left behind. For a good recovery from such trauma, I am posting a picture of Jesse Garcia from that movie.

No comments: